|Mer is back : Please visit http://www.merproject.org to learn more about this news.|
WARNING: Be careful with SmartQ releases - we don't have a daemon that does graceful shutdown at battery low. Read comment on the known issues.
If you want help with the Mer project, show up in #mer on IRC, on irc.freenode.net - or if you'd like to help out in the project.
Mer is made by the Mer project - a maemo.org community project, read more about it here
If you want a Mer logo sticker for your Mer device, see Mer/Marketing
- There is no warranty. This may blow up your MMC, steal your wife or cause doomsday to come around. But if you find some bugs, please report them on bugs.maemo.org Bugzilla and we'll try to see what we can do to fix the bug causing it.
- If anything goes wrong, grab a USB cable, and rescue mode is done through holding down Home key when booting Mer (on Nokia Internet Tablets)
- Mer is a work-in-progress and is not yet day-to-day usable. We are getting there, but don't expect too much of it.
- This is a transitional release and we needed to move on to better things - such as the new UIs. Many things will be broken in this.
- 'This release is locked to :0.16 release repository and will not be getting updates. We cannot promise apt-get dist-upgrade ability to next release for this one
 Notable accomplishments and news
- New Mer roadmap: Mer/Roadmap
- Updated SmartQ kernel to latest push from SmartDevices
- WiFi installer in first boot wizard for SmartQ
- Timezone changer in f-b-w
- New webkit version/Tear
- GTK 2.14
- Drag and lock save patch for HD
- No more libhildonhelp
- We are pleased to announce that a group from Marvell R&D are evaluating Mer
- Mer imager has moved over to gitorious : http://gitorious.org/mer/imager
- Cross compilation support on OBS
- Updated to beta2 packages
- Maemo Summit 2009 presentations:
- Stskeeps: http://www.slideshare.net/carstenmunk/mer-how-the-community-innovates , http://www.slideshare.net/carstenmunk/mer-a-year-after
- lbt: http://www.slideshare.net/mrlbt/git-how-does-that-work-then , http://www.slideshare.net/mrlbt/building-for-mer
- TomaszD: http://www.slideshare.net/guesta05d7a/mer-from-users-perspective-2409559
- Freemantle icon replacements for Fremantle osso-icons
 Known issues
- This release does not come with Q5/Q7 firmware image. Only rootfs image (contains kernel that can be booted with zenvoid's qi bootloader) as we need people to test it. The reason for this is that if we write to internal SD card when power gets cut, internal SD dies. We are going to make a daemon for this in 0.17 to shut down gracefully.
- This is a transitional release and many things are broken. We have part of Fremantle final stuff and most importantly, Application Manager is a bit broken.
- [SmartQ5] Bluetooth does not work - hciconfig simply returns
- [SmartQ5] Wifi Auto-installs, but the wifi menu keeps showing "Device Not Ready"
- [Nokia 770] Worked fine on first boot, after reboot/power cycle the device hangs with Mer desktop wallpaper and nothing else on screen (battery removal required). DCC: this happened to me on the third boot, fourth is OK, Maybe linked to booting with or without power cable (without works fine). CXL: Also experienced occasional hangs on startup. Ctrl key noes not work in xterm. Xterm menus not localised. Cannot scroll application list in application manager. System shutdowns immediately on startup with addvandced-power packages install unless power plugged in, will shutdown when external power removed (even in apparently hung state). Memory foot print ~90M after startup with xterm and top.
- [n800] Pressing shift on the keyboard is very unresponsive compared to pressing other keys.
- [N800] Brightness is weak on 1st time boot, at the end of it, the screen lit up, but after login, dim again (it seens to flick a little too). Bright control icon on home screen does nothing. (is there a workaround?) update: this was caused by turning on the device with power cable attach´d. Otherwise works ok!
- [N800] Yet no "Locale" for Brazil.
- [N800] Rotating the screen via brightness/volume home icon just change the place where i should press the menu buttons, but do not rotate the screen itself. It causes to some menu buttons, like bright/volume, be outside the touchscreen limit, making impossible to change back without a hard reset.
- [N800] Turning on the device with power cable, after the boot, removing it causes the system to auto shutdown.
- [N800] gconf-editor and x-chat could not be installed: missing maemo-select-menu-location even in red pill mode
- [N800] maemopad could not be installed: missing libhildonhelp0 >= 2.0.5-1 even in red pill mode
- [N800] pidgin do not created a link on launcher "extras" menu, only a line
 Installation guide
Installation guide can be found here, including link to Mer installer for N8x0 - version should be 2.0.0-mer12. When it asks for URL, point it to the rootfs URL for n8x0.
 Released images
|ecbcb99df43ef03f6282a88fc421233f||http://stskeeps.subnetmask.net/mer/0.16/mer-armel-n8x0-image-v0.16.jffs2||flashable image for Nokia N8x0 port, JFFS2 part (requires kernel below)|
|2876b5eead302ef49166a44bcf4307d4||http://stskeeps.subnetmask.net/mer/0.16/mer-armel-n8x0-flashrootfs-v0.16.zImage||flashable image for Nokia N8x0 port, Kernel part (requires jffs2 above)|
|01f29aa7c7244b5d441a33c16a2c0fb5||http://stskeeps.subnetmask.net/mer/0.16/mer-armel-n8x0-standard-v0.16.zImage||kernel for standard setups, Nokia N8x0 port. Use to get extra features (working USBnet on XP, etc)|
|fb22728689f629e923662dac44ae9935||http://stskeeps.subnetmask.net/mer/0.16/mer-armel-n8x0-image-v0.16.tar.gz||rootfs tar.gz for Nokia N8x0 port|
|96ffcf4f02c768c0b4d580fcc6e19c7c||http://stskeeps.subnetmask.net/mer/0.16/mer-x86-generic-image-v0.16.tar.gz||rootfs for X86, generic|
|fd106a3ff0a4854fe5d147fc2c83af52||http://stskeeps.subnetmask.net/mer/0.16/mer-x86-generic-image-v0.16.vmdk.zip||VMDK, X86 for VirtualBox, VMware, etc.|
|a6117c736a83bb070241a2ba2c642f0c||http://stskeeps.subnetmask.net/mer/0.16/mer-armel-smartq5-rootfs-v0.16.tar.gz||rootfs for SmartQ5|
|8584cec9c22b67b7593ab09e2edafc62||http://stskeeps.subnetmask.net/mer/0.16/mer-armel-smartq7-rootfs-v0.16.tar.gz||rootfs for SmartQ7|
|b6743aabca0c182a59d03e0a843a0cc7||http://stskeeps.subnetmask.net/mer/0.16/mer-armel-770-image-v0.16.tar.gz||Experimental Nokia 770 rootfs.|
- This page was last modified on 22 September 2010, at 12:51.
- This page has been accessed 35,618 times.