Front page organization
I was looking at some of the other OSS wikis (Gentoo, Slackware, Debian, etc) for ideas for the front page layout. A common theme seems to be a front page with a category index (Software, Hardware, HowTos, Developers, etc), a preamble/introduction of some sort and perhaps a news feed. Based on this I've started putting together a possible layout on my userpage. generalantilles 05:10, 20 May 2008 (UTC)
I would like to have a very simple front page, if possible. I want to avoid having the lists of links which made the old wiki so hard to manage. I would suggest having sections for tips & tricks, developer documentation, general troubleshooting and community-process related documents. I would like to have software-documentation removed completely from the wiki, in favour of downloads.maemo.org. --dneary 10:24, 22 May 2008 (UTC)
- We should probably start looking at reducing the number of things on the front page. To begin with, there were only 12 links on the wiki front page - we're up to 35 with your proposal. So maybe we should start removing some now. --Dave Neary 14:36, 20 January 2010 (UTC)
- I agree. My modification was simply to add more useful links to the front page but on reflection, there is a lot more work involved.
- --cas07 18:36, 21 January 2010 (UTC)
Generally speaking, I'm in favor of not nesting articles (i.e. HowTos/Installation or Hardware/Nokia 770), as it can make pages harder to link to (gotta figure out the page and what it's nested under) and generally doesn't provide a whole lot of usefulness.
I think we should favor Categories instead, since it's make page URLs less complicated, gets rid of the nesting issues, allows us to file articles in more than one place and provides us with nice automatically generated indexes. generalantilles 05:15, 20 May 2008 (UTC)
To do or not to do? I'm bit interested to translate some of the most important wiki pages to Finnish language but I would like to know what others think about it.
The Help link in the main navigation on the left (and also the Editing help link when editing a document) have no text, having a help page similar to Wikipedia Help would be really useful, particularly the "Editing Wikipedia"->"Cheatsheet" section and policy/guidelines etc. Are the Wikipedia Help pages copyright?
- I was sure that the help pages were here the first time I used the wiki... as far as I know, the help pages are available under a free documentation licence, and could be made available. -- dneary 10:15, 1 July 2008 (UTC)
If you are not registered to this wiki the layout of the frontpage is strange. There is a lot of white space at the beginning of the MainPage. After a login the Layout looks good. (Tested with Firefox 3; 1280x1024 px)
As of August 16, the Main Page is completely blank in Firefox 3, Epiphany (Mozilla Engine), and MicroB even when logged in, but displays fine in Konqueror
- I was able to get to the main page by using https in Firefox 2 (not logged in though). 126.96.36.199 23:30, 27 August 2008 (UTC)
How can i remove the new users - title from power users?!? its not in the template so no idea where it comes to there! --ossipena 07:25, 6 November 2009 (UTC)
- sorry, the template source was the one i forgot to alter..
- This page was last modified on 14 June 2013, at 02:23.
- This page has been accessed 37,880 times.