Talk:Manual video encoding
Video encoding is still pretty much a trial and error thing. The Wiki - this article? - should include clear specs of what works with the built in player and what doesn't. The specs on Nokia's site include:
- Video: 3GP, AVI, WMV, MP4, H263, H.264, MPEG-1, MPEG-4, RV (RealVideo)
- Audio: MP3, WMA, AAC, AMR, AWB, M4A, MP2, RA (RealAudio), WAV
We now that these formats have encoding variants that may cause the tablet to choke. Also, it would be interesting to know which codecs can be used in which containers (in case of avi: which fourcc-codes are accepted). Especially when using manual encoding and trying to optimize for the tablet its essential to know what the built-in player can cope with. I didn't find any official information on this. Who could provide it and write it down here?
- You're after the video encoding article, this is really more of a sub-article of that. Please remember to login and sign your comments! :) —GeneralAntilles 12:47, 9 July 2008 (UTC)
- Yes, SIR! Logged in, SIR! ;)) - Not sure about what I'm after. The video encoding article seems to focus on listing (GUI-)tools, which is not what I'm interested in. I'd like to know things like: When I do h.264, can I use B-frames? Can I put a h.264 into an AVI-container and if so, which audio formats are accepted and which fourcc code should I use? Is there a limit to the GOP-size? etc. etc. ... in an ideal world we'd have a list with all codec/container formats supported by the built-in player. Each entry would list all possible encoding options (options as defined by the standard, not related to a certain tool) and state "supported", "not supported", "max. 3" etc. This list would be written and maintained by Nokia (the authors of the player). - As this world is only close to ideal, I guess somebody else needs to gather the information. I thought this wiki page might be a good place as it deals with manual encoding where you set every single option yourself. Or should we simply merge both pages? Or write a third one? (I wasnt even sure if this wiki is the right place for this) ossi1967 15:23, 10 July 2008 (UTC)
- This page was last modified on 14 September 2012, at 12:44.
- This page has been accessed 5,006 times.