This page is about the Java programming language and Java Virtual Machine.
 Current state of affairs
 Official support
There is no official Java ME or Java SE from SUN as of yet.
Nokia does not plan support because Nokia already supports 2 development platforms with Maemo: either GTK (Maemo 5) or Qt (Maemo 6) as well as WRT (Web Run Time).
 N900 Application Manager
 Hardware support
The Nokia 770, N800, N810(WME) CPUs have a proprietary extension called Jazelle which accelerates Java execution however this is technology requires a license. Nokia has not opted for such license hence there is no driver for this. For more information about Jazelle please see the Jazelle entry at Wikipedia.
Nokia N900 contains succesor of Jazelle found on ARMv7, called ThumbEE. This is more general JIT; not JVM-specific. Hardware support (driver) of ThumbEE is unknown.
- ARMv6 Linux - Headless (Early Access) EABI, glibc 2.5, Soft Float, Little Endian
- ARMv6 Linux - Headless (Early Access) EABI, glibc 2.5, Hard Float (VFP), Little Endian
- ARMv6 Linux - Headful (Early Access), EABI, glibc 2.5, Hard Float (VFP), Little Endian
- ARMv5 Linux - Headless (Early Access), EABI, glibc 2.5, Soft Float, Little Endian
- ARMv5 Linux - Headful (Early Access), EABI, glibc 2.5, Soft Float, Little Endian)
 OpenJDK 6 JRE
Is ported to Debian GNU/Linux ARMEL therefore should work.
The Cambridge ARM-optimised OpenJDK has been shown to work.
Aims for Java SE compliance with pre-SUN_Java_GPLed_code, previously ported to Maemo.
Jalimo maemo 4 repo is giving a permission denied error and appear to be down. Development appears to have moved on to openembedded, mailing list still active.
 Google Android's Virtual Machine Dalvik
Maemo could greatly profit if it could run all Android apps. If Maemo subsumes Android, there is no reason anymore to choose Android. Moreover there is already an Ubuntu project aiming at running Android apps in Ubuntu. The main developer does, however, not respond to emails.
Java ME emulator written in Java SE previously ported to Maemo
Java ME emulator written in C previously ported to Maemo.
 Qt Jambi
Provides Java bindings for Qt. Swing native supported by headful Java versions.
For Java support in Maemo Browser a plugin is required. (References to be written.)
Please see Task:Brainstorm_Java for an effort to outline possible solutions to improve Java support on Nokia N900.
- This page was last modified on 25 August 2011, at 07:54.
- This page has been accessed 48,070 times.