Maemo Coding Competition 1
 Welcome to the first App development Contest for Maemo devices.
NB: Competition entry has now ended, see the results
Are you bored waiting for new games to be released for your N900? Is your forehead wrinkled stressing about the lack of applications in the extras repository? Does the emptiness of the Ovi store make you urinate in your sleep? And do you call out your mother's name when making love to your girlfriend because of step 4 of 5 disappointment and unrelated mental issues?
Well now YOU can change that, my friends! Introducing the first ever N900 Coding Competition!
If you are new to programming or want to learn, here's the excuse to finally make something. Anything. Qt, PyQt, PyGTK, whatever language you like as long as it's functionally complete, runs safely, easily, and is targeted at the N900 platform. Don't make a virus kthx.
The winning application(s) will be decided by forum poll after the closing date of July 21st, 2010.
Good luck and most of all have fun!
 Categories and voting
NB: Competition entry is now closed and voting has been completed.
There are 6 main categories for submissions:
- Desktop - http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=760304 
- System & Utilities - http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=764039 
- Games - http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=58990 
- Graphics & Multimedia - http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=763679 
- Location & Navigation - http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=58964 
- Other - http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=59038 
In addition, there is an extra category for those new to N900 development:
The competition has now ended. The winning application and runners ups for each category is as follows:
|Category||Winning App||1st Runner Up||2nd Runner Up||3rd Runner Up|
|Desktop||Queen Beecon||MyContacts||Maenotify||Sticky notes|
|Location & Navigation||CloudGPS||Advanced Geocaching Tool||modRana||MetroMap|
|System & Utilities||Faster Application Manager||ApMeFo||Alarmed||Extended Call Log|
|Games||PSX4M||Destroid||Bos Wars||Skid Stone|
|Graphics & Multimedia||PenPen Sketchbook||Metre||eSpeak GUI Client||DreamRemote|
Nokia invites the seven winners (winner of each category) to the MeeGo Conference 2010, due to be held in Dublin, Ireland! Travel and accommodation costs will be covered by Nokia. If the winner is unable to attend, a N900 can be offered in exchange.
Also there will be a prize fund into which the community will be able to donate. If you would like to add to the prize fund please reply here.. $5, $10, anything would be gratefully received. Why not sponsor your favourite category?
The bounty share out will be decided by a forum poll here 
 Bounty Roll of Honor
The list of pledges and donations
NB: Competition entry is now closed
Fill in the table with your application informations and progress. New participants can join at any time up until the closing date.
If you have not already done so, please PM the contest organiser with further info on your project to be used in the voting thread. As an example outline:
- App name:
- Brief description:
- Features/work to be judged:
- Package name and where to find the app/repository:
- Maemo.org thread or garage thread (if exists)
|Developer||Application||Category||Current Progress (%)||Beginner Entry (Y/N)|
|emesem||Push-It! or Talk||Utilities||100%||Y|
|No!No!No!Yes!||Queen BeeCon Widget||Desktop||99.9%|
|amandalam||eSpeak GUI Client||Graphics & Multimedia||90%||Y|
|pine||MetroMap||Location & Navigation||99%|
|lukash||Case File Manager||System & Utilities||2%|
|jolouis && Spenc3||Flipclock 1.0||System & Utilities||75%|
|jolouis && Spenc3||NetSlider||Graphics & Multimedia||60%|
|helex||DreamRemote or talk.Maemo.org||Graphics & Multimedia||95%|
|fieldofcows||Classic Cam||Graphics & Multimedia||100%|
|fieldofcows||Classic Print||Graphics & Multimedia||100%|
|digitalsurgeon||Easy Wallpaper||Utilities & Desktop||35%|
|JMacalinao||Tumblr for N900||Other||45%||N|
|tahitibob35||Libellule||Location & Navigation||100%|
|webhamster||Advanced Geocaching Tool (new Features)||Location & Navigation||50%|
|Mikhail_Ramalho && Rodavelino||TweeGo||Other||100%||N|
|Slocan||FeedingIt (Home-Screen Widget only)||Desktop||60%|
|JereM||NetStory||System & Utilities||100%|
|CaCO3||ShipRolling||System & Utilities||100%|
|Dotblank||Groove||Graphics & Multimedia||70%||Y|
|davidh101||ParcelGenie||System & Utilities (I think)||0%|
|Rob1n||AutoComplete Editor||System & Utilities||90%|
|krk969||Buddy, a budget/expense manager application for Maemo/Windows/Linux||System & Utilities||100%|
|joorin||footify, a Spotify client||Graphics & Multimedia||85%|
|Ben Lau||PenPen Sketchbook||Graphics & Multimedia||90%|
|CaCO3||SleepAnalyser||System & Utilities||100%|
|helihyv||KitchenAlert||System & Utilities||100%||Y|
|artohyv & helihyv||URPO||System & Utilities||100%||Y|
|vmp||eSpeakTime||Graphics & Multimedia||95%|
|amandalam||Stroke Order Chinese Input Method||System & Utilities||80%||Y|
|fcrochik||Contacts Desktop Widget||Desktop||80%|
|Nathraiben||ApMeFo||System & Utilities||95%||Y|
|AlexBravo||Nokia Bots on N900||System & Utilities||5%|
|realsportcars||FastSMS||System & Utilities||20%|
|matrim||Extended Call Log||System & Utilities||To be updated|
|Andrea Grandi Lorenzo Bettini||mSoma||Graphics & Multimedia||60%|
|Ed Page||Gonvert||System & Utilities||100%|
|hqh||Faster Application Manager||System & Utilities||100%|
|User:Robbiethe1st||BackupMenu (system image utility)||Other (not an in-OS tool)||100%||Y|
|Andrea Grandi||LastGo||Graphics & Multimedia||95%||Y|
|Benson Tsai||K9 Call||Desktop||90%||Y|
|Alek Terekhov||Skid Stone||Games||100%||Y|
|Damian Waradzyn||CloudGPS||Location & Navigation||25%|
|Shapeshifter||Alarmed||System & Utilities||100%|
|MartinK||modRana||Location & Navigation||95%|
|jonnenau||DropN900||Other (suits best?)||100%||Y|
|b0unc3||quick-launch||System & Utilities||73%||N|
|klen||Ruler App||Graphics & Multimedia||100%||Y|
 Beginners spinoff competition
Nb: Beginners competition entry has now ended
In addition to the main coding competition, we are also running a separate spin off beginners coding competition. Participants who marked their entries as beginner to the main contest are automatically entered.
As mentioned in the rules, entries to the beginners competition must be the authors first released coding project(s) for the N900, and must have been first released between the competition start and end dates. In addition, the same rules as the main comp also apply.
This competition is not eligible to make use of the main coding competition bounty and prizes. However there is expected to be a small bounty offered by the community to the winner(s) of this competition, this is still to be finalised.
Here is the final table of participants:
|emesem||Push-It! or Talk||Utilities|
|amandalam||eSpeak GUI Client||Graphics & Multimedia|
|Dotblank||Groove||Graphics & Multimedia|
|helihyv||KitchenAlert||System & Utilities|
|artohyv & helihyv||URPO||System & Utilities|
|amandalam||Stroke Order Chinese Input Method||System & Utilities|
|Nathraiben||ApMeFo||System & Utilities|
|User:Robbiethe1st||BackupMenu (system image utility)||Other (not an in-OS tool)|
|Andrea Grandi||LastGo||Graphics & Multimedia|
|Benson Tsai||K9 Call||Desktop|
|Alek Terekhov||Skid Stone||Games|
|jonnenau||DropN900||Other (suits best?)|
|klen||Ruler App||Graphics & Multimedia|
- The competition start date is May 21st, 2010.
- Entries to be submitted no later than Wednesday July 21 Midnight Greenwich time.
- Entries will only be accepted for the following formats: Nokia N900.
- Entries may be accepted for other systems but only if they benefit the above format. For example development tools, video encoders, game makers etc that run on PC/Mac/Linux...
- Already released software must have a substantial upgrade from previous releases to qualify for judging and must also contain a list of changes the author has made to the previous version.
- Submitted entries should be accompanied by a forum post, pm to competition organiser and/or a text file with the authors email, PayPal address (can be retrieved later), the name of the software and a brief description of the software. If this entry text file is packaged with your project, this file should be called "entry.txt". You should also provide a brief description of your work done and, if possible, a screenshot to be used in the voting thread.
- Entries that are not stand alone software will have to include any libraries or files required to run, or they should be easily available via the normal Maemo.org and Nokia repositories. Clear instructions will have to be provided. In the case of interpreters and emulators copyrighted files should not be included.
- If there are too many qualifying entries that the forum software cannot facilitate a single voting thread, multiple threads and polls may need to be used to determine which group will be entered into the final vote. Prizes will not be awarded for winners of any such qualifying rounds.
- Coding competition entries marked as beginner will also automatically be entered into a separate beginners contest if they meet the following criteria: entries to the beginners competition must be the authors first released coding project(s) for the N900, and must have been first released between the competition start and end dates.
- Voting is strictly one vote per user. The use of multiple accounts to vote, creating fake accounts to register votes, or using other illegal means to register votes is strictly prohibited and may be seen as an attempt to defraud the poll and community. Your votes may be discounted and/or your entries disqualified if judged by the contest organiser that you have done so.
- There will be a feature freeze on entries during the voting stage of the competition. Please limit your competition entry code changes to bug fix only for any release during this period, and this restriction should remain until the end of the vote.
- Entries in languages other than English will be accepted as long as sufficient English documentation is provided.
- Prize winners receiving a share of the collected bounty will be paid through Paypal transaction. Any fees charged by Paypal will be deducted from the prize amount.
 Useful contacts
- Competition organiser: kojacker
- Competition treasurer: zehjotkah
- Competition thread, for answers and discussion: "The First N900 Coding Competition! 21st May-21st July. Open to all!" 
 Getting started with N900 development
The Nokia Qt SDK is the official set of tools with everything needed to design and create applications for the N900 . The development wiki is a great place to start, it contains lots of code examples and development guides. The "Windows Python and Qt in 30 mins" thread is a great tutorial for beginners and will have you coding your first app in minutes, and here's a link to a tutorial from Linuxuser.co.uk. The key is to get started, and do not be afraid to ask questions. Beginners are definitely welcome in this comp, great oaks from little acorns grow..
The 'Developer' forum on maemo.org is an excellent resource to find answers and ask questions of your own.
|Desktop||Browser Widget - see http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=52003|
|Games||Mupen64 (Nintendo 64 emulator) proper port with full GUI. Pandora version with OpenGL ES plugin available. See: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=56752|
|Graphics & Multimedia||N900 as usb webcam - see http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=52585|
|Graphics & Multimedia|| Equalizer for N900 - An equalizer plugin for default media player
This has already been implemented, see http://blogs.igalia.com/jasuarez/2009/10/21/mafw-renderer-plugin-with-equalizer/
|Location & Navigation||Execute script/actions when entering/leaving a GSM cell or GPS based- see http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=667173 and http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=53172|
|System & Utilites||a customisable news/weather alarm clock - see http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=667626&postcount=34|
|Office||LaTex Editor with GUI.. There are already LaTex library|
|Office||Advanced Pdf reader with comment and highlight..|
|System & Utilites||GUI for titan kernel|
|System & Utilites||GUI for truecrypt|
|Other|| Sleep Cycle Analyzer clone - see http://lifehacker.com/5441045/sleep-cycle-analyzes-your-sleep-patterns-for-a-better-wake+up
There are 2 projects trying to fullfill this challenge: Sleppy and SleepAnalyser
|Other||M-Fart (iFart clone)|
|Other||M-Boobs (iBoobs clone)|
|Desktop||Maemo optimized e-book/pdf reader with touch gestures|
|Desktop||statusarea/statusmenu items editor|
|Graphics & Multimedia||configurable Sharing Plug-in for the Image Application - see http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=704394&postcount=235|
|System & Utilites||Application to create and setup Folders in the Programmenu. - see http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=54924 and http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=37874|
|Bluetooth|| Bluetooth rSAP protocol integration
see: http://maemo.org/community/brainstorm/view/rsap-remote_sim-support_for_n900/#make_this_a_solution see: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=31962 see: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=34027
maybe portable from Samsung Galaxy S (Android): see http://www.samsungmobile.co.uk/mobile-phones/samsung-galaxy-s-specification - also there is an Android SDK with the protocol within: see http://www.sybase.com/products/allproductsa-z/mobiledevicesdks/bluetoothsdks
- This page was last modified on 6 December 2010, at 12:35.
- This page has been accessed 191,438 times.