The Harmattan Python project provides a Python runtime environment for Nokia's N9 phone and the N950 developer device built on the MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan platform. It provides a full-featured set of packages and tools to rapidly develop and run Python applications using the PySide: Python for Qt bindings together with the Qt Quick UI definition language. Applications can be deployed as individual Debian packages, using the community OBS, or eventually, via Ovi Store.
 Getting started
The following links provide useful information for Python developers, including information about MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan Security Framework.
- Getting started with Harmattan Python
- Documentation for pyside-assistant
- Python Tutorial for Newbies
- Tutorial: Python+Qt+I18N
- Tutorial: Python+Qt+DBUS
- Python 2.6 porting tips
- Performance Considerations for Python Apps
If you are interested just in installing applications that depend on Python you can get a lot of them using the repositories listed here. All depending packages will be automatically installed.
 API Bindings
The Harmattan Python project tries to cover as many APIs as possible. Nowadays there are bindings for the green marked modules:
In addition to the listed APIs above (provided by python-dbus, python-pyside, python-qtmobility, python-qtsparql) there are lots of packages:
python-cairo python-chardet python-conic python-content.action python-context python-crypto python-dateutil python-gconf python-gi python-gobject python-imaging python-libxml2 python-lxml python-magic python-markupsafe python-openssl python-pkg-resources python-pycurl python-pygments python-roman python-storm python-tralchemy python-twisted-web python-twisted-words python-xdg python-numpy python-beautifulsoup python-feedparser python-pygame ipython
 Community Packages
There are Python packages also available by the community and not included in the Nokia's Harmattan repositories :
- IPython (enhanced interactive shell) 0.13.1 and 0.10.2 : see the topics in MeeGo Forum and Maemo.org Talk
- SymPy (CAS - Computer Algebra System) 0.7.2 : see the topics in MeeGo Forum and Maemo.org Talk
- MatPlotLib (2D & 3D plots) 1.2.0 : see the topics in Maemo.org Talk
- NumPy (numerical calculations) 1.7.0 : see the topic in Maemo.org Talk
- Uncertainties (calculations with uncertainties) 1.9 : see the topic in Maemo.org Talk
- Cython (C-Extensions for Python) : see this Harmattan repository and source code from Python Harmattan
- PyChecker (Python source code checking tool) : see this Harmattan repository and source code from Python Harmattan
- Pexpect (for automating interactive applications) : see this Harmattan repository and source code from Python Harmattan
- PyZMQ (Python ZMQ) (Python bindings for ZMQ) : see this Harmattan repository
- Tornado (scalable, non-blocking web server) : see this Harmattan repository
- Twisted (event-based framework for internet applications) : see this Harmattan repository and source code from Python Harmattan
- Zope Interface (implementation of object interfaces for Python) : see this Harmattan repository and source code from Python Harmattan
- python-eventfeed: Library to post items to the Harmattan Event Feed screen
- PyFlakes (checks Python source code for logical errors) : package download and source code
You can contact us using:
- Mailing list: email@example.com (Info page, Archives)
Nokia contact person: Matti Airas <firstname.lastname@example.org>
 Relevant Projects
- This page was last modified on 11 February 2013, at 22:41.
- This page has been accessed 4,780 times.