|Mer is back : Please visit http://www.merproject.org to learn more about this news.|
Mer 0.14 was prepared in the sprint in the period 18 May 2009 - 8 June (feature freeze), Testing period: 8 June 2009 - 15 June 2009. If you want help with the release, show up in #mer on IRC, on irc.freenode.net.
Mer is made by the Mer project - a maemo.org community project, read more about it here
If you want a Mer logo sticker for your Mer device, see Mer/Marketing
 Notable accomplishments and news
- Initial N810 GPS instructions posted here
- Began cleaning up and upgrading to Fremantle beta packages
- Neo Freerunner port
- start-hildon script now uses a /etc/start-hildon.d scheme, making it easier to write control panels
- X buttons on dialogs (for cancel)
- Ubuntu MID will be based upon Mer
- Mer team SmartQ developer rebate programme
- We participated in Mozilla/Maemo Danish Weekend and had several meetings including some with Nokia on how to deal with closed source bits for HW support. Pictures here, and here, - spot the Mer people!
- Nokia donated two N810s to the project so we can improve N810 support.
- Presentation at MMDW about Mer: Maemo Reconstructed
- Crowd sourcing HIM layouts
- initial meeting with Ubuntu MID crowd
- Instructions on how to develop for Mer
- SmartQ7 port
- New sprint management system
- #mer IRC channel is now logged publically
- NetworkManager now uses hildon banners instead of notifications
- Full Qi port to SmartQ5/7
- New onscreen keyboard - him-arabic
- Mer will be presenting on a BoF on Mer at DebConf9 this summer
- Sound now works in N8x0 again, fixed buffer overflow in osso-dsp-loader
- Mer represented with BoF at Southeast LinuxFest
 Known issues
- If you can't find an application you want in Application Manager, see http://packages.ubuntu.com - Mer is based on Ubuntu and has 95% of all Ubuntu applications and you can install them with sudo apt-get install packagename, in X-Terminal
- home applets behave oddly when in non-800x480
- Screen should not dim and turn off during first boot wizard
- Magic X menu stretches too far, before adding v ^ buttons.
- Happens occasionally: Initial configuration - Root Password Confirmation Prompt - No virtual keyboard
- X driver for N8x0 does not use Manual updates yet and hence can be a bit slow in updating the screen which may give the impression the system is slow.
- Rotation in advanced-backlight kills hildon desktop
- No charging screen on flashable image
- modifying panel settings causes HD to sometimes crash
- 770 rescue menu does not seem to work (keys doesn't work)
- 770 doesn't pick up correct RTC, or it doesn't have it set
- Control panel may appear to have no menu but it actually doesn't have one.
- Can not enter an address in hildon-application-manager
- X-Terminal is not localized yet, at all (shows webameedit, etc)
- The task switcher does not appear rightmost as it should
- There seems to be a bit of "air" around windows, near left and right corners, also in marquee.
- Marquee background acts weird.
- JFFS2 version of N8x0 port causes weird video problem when rebooting.
- Powerlaunch not working correctly while charger plugged in, no reaction while pressing power-button, no keyboard backlight
- Advanced-backlight crashes hildon-desktop while charger plugged (might be tablet-battery-monitor related)
- Marquee-panel doesn't scale when rotating the screen.
- Deselecting dropdown menu plugin crashes desktop
- Powerlaunch button prompts not correct (no "Yes" "No")
- Applications "Organise" dialog unresponsive
- SmartQ5/7 WiFi does not work out of the box
- Hardware keyboard/slider events on N810 when device is in standby only turns on backlight, and doesn't unblank the screen. Touchscreen events work fine in this respect.
- Text in text fields can not be drag-selected (cursor jumps to start of field instead)
- Applications installed prompt for folder location but are always stored in Extras
- Terminal toolbar Ctrl button non-functional (try Ctrl + d, Ctrl + h, Ctrl + g, Ctrl + c)
- Terminal toolbar (likely other) has significanly misaligned background image when selected.
- When changing theme desktop might crash (seen on SmartQ5 and N8x0)
- Sources are not accessible using apt-get source (for Mer packages), but they are downloadable if you sign up for build.opensuse.org (or just ask us if you don't want to.) - a problem with OBS not exporting them at the moment
- python-hildon is broken
- The weather applet is broken, just disable it
- docpurge is a bit slow and may slow application installs
- There is no warranty. This may blow up your MMC, steal your wife or cause doomsday to come around. But if you find some bugs, please report them on bugs.maemo.org Bugzilla and we'll try to see what we can do to fix the bug causing it.
- If anything goes wrong, grab a USB cable, and rescue mode is done through holding down Home key when booting Mer (on Nokia Internet Tablets)
 Installation guide
Installation guide can be found here, including link to Mer installer for N8x0 - version should be 2.0.0-mer11
 Released images
|fd772f6414ce22ca1f8807dc388a8025||http://stskeeps.subnetmask.net/mer/0.14/mer-armel-n8x0-image-v0.14.jffs2||flashable image for Nokia N8x0 port, JFFS2 part (requires kernel below)|
|136a715927dec5489f2b001bc7705796||http://stskeeps.subnetmask.net/mer/0.14/mer-armel-n8x0-flashrootfs-v0.14.zImage||flashable image for Nokia N8x0 port, Kernel part (requires jffs2 above)|
|5414ba9d871bf99a95d83ef8d65dcaf9||http://stskeeps.subnetmask.net/mer/0.14/mer-armel-n8x0-standard-v0.14.zImage||kernel for standard setups, Nokia N8x0 port. Use to get extra features (working USBnet on XP, etc)|
|41a92764e1bf12b34e57b4028066a90f||http://stskeeps.subnetmask.net/mer/0.14/mer-armel-n8x0-image-v0.14.tar.gz||rootfs tar.gz for Nokia N8x0 port|
|c8f2cdf2284ce89995c77056c00418b1||http://stskeeps.subnetmask.net/mer/0.14/mer-x86-generic-image-v0.14.tar.gz||rootfs for X86, generic|
|891be65c734314f6932e8df9080c0b2e||http://stskeeps.subnetmask.net/mer/0.14/mer-x86-generic-image-v0.14.vmdk.zip||VMDK, X86 for VirtualBox, VMware, etc.|
|88d74e0a99484b31c81e57e7c4f59d5d||http://stskeeps.subnetmask.net/mer/0.14/mer-armel-smartq5-rootfs-v0.14.tar.gz||rootfs for SmartQ5|
|72a77747a33fa91faff9290add40ea47||http://stskeeps.subnetmask.net/mer/0.14/mer-armel-smartq5.SmartQ5||firmware image for SmartQ5|
|e682866aa8820de52f0f465fde0d7975||http://stskeeps.subnetmask.net/mer/0.14/mer-armel-smartq7-rootfs-v0.14.tar.gz||rootfs for SmartQ7|
|9814f502a5f86c863512f515121c8820||http://stskeeps.subnetmask.net/mer/0.14/mer-armel-smartq7.SmartQ7||firmware image for SmartQ7|
|cdf062a71718d4239ec0f3d6cf6a89df||http://stskeeps.subnetmask.net/mer/0.14/mer-armel-freerunner-rootfs-v0.14.tar.gz||rootfs for Neo Freerunner.|
- This page was last modified on 22 September 2010, at 12:49.
- This page has been accessed 13,524 times.